Friday, February 18, 2005

'Forgive me, St. Peter, for I have sinned against my flock'

From the world of my not-so-forgotten faith and the Boston Globe:

"The nation's Roman Catholic bishops said Friday that over the last year they received 1,092 new allegations of sexual abuse against at least 756 Catholic priests and deacons.

Half of the accused priests over the past year had been previously accused of abuse, said Kathleen McChesney, executive director of the bishops' Office of Child and Youth Protection.

Most of the alleged incidents occurred decades ago: 72 percent of the priests were either dead, defrocked or removed from public ministry before the newest allegations were received, McChesney said."

It is simply incredible that the holy fathers had covered this up for so long, and caused so much hurt. I pray to God that this never happens again, and I applaude those victims that finally came forward and brought this issue to light.
Saint Peter must weep for the Church he left behind.
< Blogarama
Blogarama