Wednesday, April 20, 2005

A Word of Advice

Andrew Sullivan posts an email he recieved after blogging about his despair in the choice of pope. I reproduce it here in its entirety. It is something that really makes a strong point. Are we often tied to our traditional familial faiths because that is all we know and that is what raised us?
I can understand your sense that you cannot leave the church. But I know from experience that it is just that--a sense. You have felt the presence of God at Mass? I have too. You can feel it elsewhere but you cannot know that until you look. The gospels speak to you? I know you don't seriously think they speak only though the Catholic Church. As for the family/mother analogy, it simply isn't a good one. There is no biology here no matter how like that it may feel. Still, it can be valid in this way: If the church is your mother you have been, still are, and if the events of today are any indication, will increasingly be abused by her. Mentally, spiritually, and perhaps even physically abused. I feel for the pain I see in your writing. I have felt it too. But you have to take the advice you would give to anyone in an abusive relationship: get out.
It may be difficult, seem almost impossible, but that is the bottom line. I got out myself. I can assure you there is a rich and rewarding spiritual life to be had elsewhere. Religion is a choice. Please, for your own sake, choose a non-abusive one.

Sullivan has some great posts up about the new pope and his own conflicted view. Read them.
< Blogarama
Blogarama