Tuesday, May 24, 2005

Revenge of the Sith: Some Thoughts

So, being the Star Wars junkie that I am, I have seen Revenge of the Sith twice now, and I have to say that I really enjoyed it. Certainly it had flaws, but I thought the pluses far outweighed the minuses. Some thoughts (Spoilers!):




  • 'Hold me like you held me on Naboo.'--ugh. Definitely can't write romance, can you George?
  • The title, Revenge of the Sith, fits well with Episode VI, Return of the Jedi. Recall that the original title of VI was supposed to be Revenge of the Jedi.
  • Friend of mine pointed out, though, that Return of the Sith might have been a better title. What exactly are the Sith getting revenge for?
  • I thought the bits with the droids were just humorous enough. The battledroid reaction to getting shocked by R2 was great.
  • Palapatine was played with just the right degree of sliminess. A classic politician.
  • Anakin wasn't that annoying to me.
  • Certainly could now see that there WAS a reason Luke thought his father could be turned back to the light. Made the end of Episode VI alot better in my mind.
  • Mace Windu was an ass.
  • Yoda kicks ass.
  • 'Master Skywalker, there are too many of them. What are we going to do?', followed by the woosh of a lightsaber. I wonder if the film would have received an 'R' if Lucas chose to show what happened next. I actually almost cried at that scene.
  • Order 66--I had to explain to a friend how all of the Clones could suddenly turn on the Jedi they spent so much time with. I think that it was simply programmed into the clones in gestation that when they received Order 66, they are to destroy the Jedi.
  • Speaking of the clones, they look a lot cooler than the Stormtroopers. I guess Palapatine cut the armor budget?
  • Yoda and Palapatine-great battle. I appreciated seeing that Palpatine was more than just an old man who could shoot lightning. Definitely a Dark Lord of the Sith.
  • Palapatine talking about Darth Plagus the Wise. He never says it in the film, but note how fondly he discusses Plagus' student murdering him in his sleep. Palapatine/Sidious' old master? I need to read the book.
  • Darth Vader and Obi-Wan---best lightsaber duel ever.
  • Man to machine---creepy.
  • I liked the tie-ins to later Episodes that Lucas tried to include: picking up the lightsaber at Mustafar, Owen and Beru posing on Tatooine, a familar Alderaan ship, Obi-Wan learning how to come back from the Force, Grand Moff Tarkin's cameo, the Death Star, and many others.

Overall, I give the film a B+. Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back is still the best, but Episode III is my new number 2. Then, I think Episodes IV, II, VI, and I.

< Blogarama
Blogarama